Can DBT Help You?
The mindfulness-based and skill-building techniques of Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) are helpful for individuals struggling with managing emotions, tolerating distress, and/or successfully engaging in relationships. Studies show that this treatment modality is helpful for numerous presenting issues and especially for Borderline Personality Disorder and individuals who engage in self-destructive thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. Click here to learn more.
DBT sessions focus on learning coping skills to help individuals cope with painful feelings and tolerate emotional turmoil. These skills are especially helpful when an individual must tolerate a distressing time without engaging in problematic behaviors that simply make a bad situation worse. Specific skill sets are dedicated to improving relationships, emotion regulation, distress tolerance, and mindfulness.
There are two methods of Dialectical Behavioral Therapy available: adherent and informed therapy. What’s the difference?
This approach is most suited for individuals needing a higher level of care and likely have more serious symptoms of emotional distress. This adherent approach means that the therapists providing treatment are likely certified in DBT. The fully adherent approach includes the following:
- DBT Individual Therapy
- DBT Skills Group Training
- Phone Coaching
- Consultation Team in which the therapists meet regularly
Dr. Long provides informed therapy which means she has received advanced training in DBT and implements the skills and interventions in individual therapy. Dr. Long is not certified in DBT and does not offer the skills training groups. However, she works closely with other practitioners who offer these groups nearby. An informed approach works best for those with a lower severity level of symptoms. If you’re not sure if this is sufficient, please call our office to discuss your situation in greater detail.
What to expect:
- Increase understanding of and how to manage emotions
- Learn specific skills and strategies to reduce emotional reactivity, improve communication, stress-resilience and more
- Improve stress management without engaging in problematic, harmful behaviors
- Enjoy healthier relationships while maintaining boundaries and self-respect
- Experience inner peace by learning to calm your mind and center yourself
- Recognize and replace distorted thoughts and ineffective thinking
- Experience more joy and live a worthwhile life