Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy in Fort Lauderdale
I use scientifically proven therapies such as Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) to address common mental health challenges. During our initial appointment, I will carefully consider your goals, strengths, and unique history. I will propose a treatment plan which will include details of work together including what type of therapy from which you might most benefit. Utmost importance is placed on the therapeutic relationship – a respectful alliance between you as my client and me as your psychologist.
Can Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) Help You?
The mindfulness-based and skill-building techniques of Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) are helpful for individuals struggling with managing emotions, tolerating distress, and/or successfully engaging in relationships. Studies show that this treatment modality is helpful for numerous presenting issues and especially for Borderline Personality Disorder and individuals who engage in self-destructive thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. Click here to learn more.
DBT sessions focus on learning coping skills to help individuals cope with painful feelings and tolerate emotional turmoil. These skills are especially helpful when an individual must tolerate a distressing time without engaging in problematic behaviors that simply make a bad situation worse. Specific skill sets are dedicated to improving relationships, emotion regulation, distress tolerance, and mindfulness.
Dr. Long provides DBT-informed therapy which means she has received advanced training in DBT and implements the skills and interventions in individual therapy. Dr. Long is not certified in DBT, is not part of a DBT consultation group, and does not offer the skills training groups. However, she works closely with other practitioners who offer these groups at another office nearby. An informed approach works best for those with a lower severity level of symptoms. If you’re not sure if this is sufficient, please call our office to discuss your situation in greater detail.
What to expect:
- Increase understanding of and how to manage emotions
- Learn specific skills and strategies to reduce emotional reactivity, improve communication, stress-resilience and more
- Improve stress management without engaging in problematic, harmful behaviors
- Enjoy healthier relationships while maintaining boundaries and self-respect
- Experience inner peace by learning to calm your mind and center yourself
- Recognize and replace distorted thoughts and ineffective thinking
- Experience more joy and live a worthwhile life
Fully Adherent DBT Therapy
This approach is most suited for individuals needing a higher level of care and likely have more serious symptoms of emotional distress. This adherent approach means that the therapists providing treatment are part of treatment team and likely hold certification in DBT. The fully adherent approach includes the following:
- DBT Individual Therapy
- DBT Skills Group Training
- After Hours Phone Coaching
- Consultation Team in which the therapists meet regularly